Tuesday, January 14, 2014
compositing a manta ray
the lighting didn't end up looking right in my last render, so i adjusted the image based lighting set up and brightened the shadows so they aren't more intense than the shadows in the plate. i used a pretty neat plug in called reel smart motion blur in adobe after effects to get the motion blur on the ray. it generates a motion blur based on the translation of the pixels in the image, not by actual 3d translation. this saved a lot of rendering time out of maya. the next step will be rotoscoping the tree trunk in the beginning of the shot and a few more color corrections.